Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kauai... Day 2 of 18 North Shore

Wednesday May 9, 2012

Ah ha!  The famous roosters at work.  They are such a great wake up call  and I laid in bed laughing  to myself.   And It didn’t  take too long for the birds to join in.  We sat on the lanai enjoying the awesome morning soaking in the view of  Hanalei Bay with my coffee and  English muffin.  I had to pinch myself to remind me of where I was!! Seriously I just can't believe after 30 years, I'm back.  What the heck took me so long?   Ok back to the lanai.. The view of the mountains as the the sky changes from dark to light blue and pink is magnificent.  It's a very cloudy day and we're not sure what the day will be like but that's ok.

We walked  the steep path down to beach in front of St Regis.  It's such a gorgeous resort but I’m quite happy to be in our condo.   The beach walk was nice and I  could see the Hanalei Pier in the background  along with the kids surfing and paddle boarding.  At least they looked like kids to me.



Oh my gosh, look on the right.... there's a water fall up there.. I'm not sure I saw that before .... or maybe I did...LOL


The first morning ..John's quite happy so far!






Somewhere mid morning we took off to find all these famous beaches on the north shore.  We were packed for the day with beach gear and snacks.  We drove through the adorable town of Hanalei  while trying to scope out all the places I’ve read about.  We stopped at a ton of look outs for photo opps.  The Sea was pounding the shore line.  We saw a park like setting with a really wide beach to check out  which turned out to be Lumahei Beach.  Along side was a river of the same name.  A gal told us to not swim in the ocean but the river was safe. I hope so since she was swimming in it.   We walked along and enjoyed watching all the dogs chasing sticks.  I found a couple pieces of sea glass …nothing special but will be nice in a dish to remember the trip.












I like the sign !



 After we left Lumahei,  I spotted dry cave and then noticed the Haena Beach Park across the street where we spent most of  our day.  We had to walk (according to the sign) 500 yards to the right to Tunnels Beach where it’s safe to snorkel.  Holy cow, what a walk. This is where the stupid part comes in.  When we arrived it was a tad chilly and I had my hoodie on when first walking the beach.   Then out comes the sun and blue sky and so  I had to walk clear back to the car again to change and get my gear.  This may not sound like a big deal, but I sank 3-5 inches with each step. It was like walking on a step master for the whole way.   The snorkeling was good as  I did see tons of really great fish, missed the turtles and the shark that people were talking about.   Btw, there was a food truck there with snacks and fruit  but no one around.  Not sure what the deal is with that.





From here we went on to Ke’e Beach area   Everyone and their aunt and uncle were here by now.  Cars parked everywhere.  While I was reading the info at the Kalalau trail head, I heard the lifeguard tell people to get away from  one area as the tide was going out and it would suck them right over the reef and he couldn’t save them.   Opps, this sea is nothing to mess with.

   After reading so much about it, I was really excited to see the trail head of Kalalau even though I only intend to do the first two miles…. Just maybe onto the falls, but that will be as far as we can go.   So, back to Ke'e Beach, after a quick look at “wet cave”, we headed back.  We stopped really quick in front of Limahuli Gardens so I could run back for a pic of this babbling brook that reminded me of those in the Smokey Mts, and as I turned around ( I’m always looking at these gorgeous mts) ,  I see King Kong.  If this isn’t the one I always read about its surely his twin.





On to Hanalei for pizza at Tahiti Nui.  We ate out front on a high top and yakked with a  young couple that had been on a zodiac morning tour.  The winds were so high that  all the afternoon tours were cancelled.   They highly recommended the tour, but I know from their description that my back could not survive the trip.  Scratch  off something I had on my bucket list.   I remember Tahiti Nui from the movie so it was fun looking at the  pictures on the walls.   Oh the pizza was awesome!!!  We may go back when they have entertainment  since tonight is their weekly luau.


We hit the grocery in town for some drinks and fresh fruit.. I really love the papaya and the apple bananas.   The papaya I can get in Florida is nothing like the papaya here and we don’t have apple bananas.

Once we got cleaned up from our beach day, I got directions to the Hanalei pier from our front desk.  Wow, that’s the place to be for sunset as it’s so pretty and wonderous to see that famous pier.  Crap,  I forgot that I wanted to look for the house from the movie, Descendants.






 While I’m taking pictures,  my hubby walked out the pier and found some people helping a turtle who got  all wrapped up in a net placed in the harbor.   Some folks who were surfing did the really difficut part of cutting all the netting off him  after hubby  found a knife.    Finally it was freed and swam off  without any permanent damage.  

Here are the surfers cutting the line off the turtle..





Back to Hanalei town  for a dessert of Banana something or other (fried in philo dough) with ice  cream,  So not  my favorite dessert and  this ended our evening.  


No comments:

Post a Comment