Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Kauai... Day 5 of 18 Queens Bath and more

 Saturday, May 12, 2012

I just noticed its 620 and light outside… I was up at 530 in the dark and wondered  when it got light.   The chickens won today so its chickens 3, birds 1.

Last night the couple who shared our lanai mentioned Queens Bath which I had forgotten.  So around 8 we left to check it out. It's really just too close to not go.     There's very little parking, but I guess most folks don't really stay here all that long.   It wouldn't be my choice to spend the day.    It was almost like I expected with  a hike down a dirt path and a hike across a lot of lava rocks.   It's not for the faint of heart and certainly not for the flip flops I saw later coming in. I walked clear past it to make sure there wasn’t another area as I've read that we’d see a place we thought was right but it wasn’t it.  Nope we were right.   There were already some locals there who said this is as good  as it gets.   So we both went in and swam around a bit then got out to view all the turtles down below.  I don’t get how they survive in that surf, but obviously they do.



The picture is dark, but I think you can still see the rough area that you have to walk across to get here




After a quick stop at out condo, we headed to Tunnels again with a quick stop a farmers market in Hanalei.  Got some fruit, a small print, pastry and some delicious fruit smoothie. Oh wish I knew the name, but I paid 2 bucks for a tiny fruit with a really hard shell. She assured me it was ripe and said to eat the soft inside and make tea from the outside.  Rather tasty but not enough for 2 bucks.  However I love to try new fruits. John who has a major sweet tooth still talks about this huge thick cookie he got there.  I think it took him two days to eat it and thats a long time for him.

 Onto the beach again.  Scored a parking place at Haena Beach Park.  No red flags today so the whole area is safe.  That seems strange for I felt a stronger current than I did the last time.  I saw tons of gorgeous fish and then a really strange thing shocked me.  A really long something.. Oh heck  it’s a person in camouflouge with a spear gun,  Really?  This is actually legal?  The Lifeguard later confirmed that it's legal unless the area is declared a sanctuary.   It made me very uneasy as I kept running into the person while I was swimming around.

When we left Haene Park, I had to make a quick run to Ke’e Beach even though I figured we couldn’t park.  It’s just so beautiful there with the cliffs rising and the palm trees swaying!

OK, back to the condo for a swim and hot tub since I hadn’t been in this gorgeous pool yet.  It’s just beautiful!






 Next we did a walk down to Hideaways Beach.






 Talked to a lot of interesting folks.  One gal who just moved here and is working  for an airline was with her mother.   Met another local who was waiting to play his guitar for a small beach wedding.  With him, we watched a wedding take place on St Regis grounds and he told us it cost 3 grand for that space and this beach is public and free.

After we showered it was time to head  back to Hanalei to The Dolphin  for dinner.









 I had chicken with grilled skewered vegetables  and rice for 18.  John had mahi mahi and baked pot for 30 . I think my wine was around 8.  Anyhow with 20 tip dinner was around 80 or so.   I have no idea how I remember those prices...LOL...  Both dinners were good.   Oh we sang happy birthday to the guy next to us. They brought him a big sundae. When they were almost finished we  laughingly said that we thought they'd need our help for sure.   After our dinner the server brought us a lava cake and ice cream  which the birthday guy had bought for us.  That was really sweet.

Ok, I had to stop at Tahiti Nui to hear a little music. Loved the group... wonder if they have a cd.




 These guys were soo good.  It was too loud for DH so he walked down town a bit while I listened.  Loved the music, but soon it was time to head back.  In bed by 930. Tomorrow we fly to Maui.





No comments:

Post a Comment