Thursday, January 23, 2014

Maui... Day 6 of 18 Arrival on Maui and Haleakala

Sunday May 13,  2012  

I know I'm repeating myself but its such a joy to fly HA... I loved their maps  for the islands too.  We sure used them alot.   Anyhow, Like many have said, this car renting issue is crazy.  The scare tactics and pressure to sell  insurance make it a crappy experience.   We selected a Sebring Convertible.  I think we had a choice between that or a mustang.  Holy cow... where's the trunk?  My Sebring is older so my trunk is larger.  These new ones  have the sleek look where the whole trunk lid opens and the top slides back and takes up almost the whole space.   It has a nice sleek look but manoman no space back there.  Ok, so the luggage fills the whole back  seat, but  it won’t be there for long.  BTW, we rented from Enterprise using Costco and the convertible cost  330.40 for the Five days.   Anymore when renting I take pictures of the car before and after.  

So,  I know you everyone is  going to think this is crazy, but we arrived on Maui without a room for the first two nights.   I really wanted a place to stay by the airport or Paia to see Haleakala and Hana without driving from Kannapali, but none of the places I wanted to stay had openings for two nights. And the Marriott Courtyard was still being built.   So I visited the Maui Beach Hotel for a first hand look.   After viewing a room, I got one with a balcony.  The place is really ok as the room had been completely  refurbished.  Small but really nice.  The hotel is very clean and nice, but with some tropical plants in the lobby it could look really cool.   The pool is on the second level behind the restaurant which I thought was strange since they have a big, big  open courtyard off the beach  that would have been a terrific spot   for a pool.  I never asked why, but it seemed odd. So for my purpose this place works.  I think we paid 125.   Oh and the help is really nice.  And the beach is there.. Ok for looking at but not really for swimming.  

By now, we’re starved and head to Paia. We really didn’t want to take a lot of time to eat so   Mana foods catches our eye and we quickly  hit their awesome deli.  I got a slice of quiche and a bunch of lemon/ garlicky shrimp.  Husband got some kind of a sandwich and off we went on our way to  Haleakala. 






 We got a little lost and a super nice lady told us to follow her to get on track.  After winding forever we finally get above the clouds.   We stopped at the Visitors Center and I bought a new National Park Pass since mine was at home.   Actually I left it in the car because I emptied my purse of everything I didn't think I needed.  Oh well, it's only 10 bucks and just takes a quick second to buy one.  So we  drove to all  the look out places.  The colors of the crater were stunning, but this really isn’t my cup of tea... Where’s the water?   














Curves, Curves, and more Curves!


After seeing this back in the 70's I've never been sure that we ever really landed on the moon


Sometime we drove by the Kula Lodge.  I did want to stop just for a look see but  I also wanted to make the winery before it closed.   I didn't even remember that I saw their sign until I saw the picture I took real quick.    



After winding our way back down,  we head to the Tedisery winery.   I really want to make it to  the winery so  I called them to see how late they’re open and I thought we could make it and  we did... just before at dozen mini tour buses pull in. Thank Heavens! I buy a bottle of wine and would like  a couple wine glasses but they are out.   Darn it, I collect wine glasses and would love them.     I kept the wine bottle to bring back home and later found out they sell the wine in my local grocery.




After the winery, I walked across the street to Ulupalakua Ranch Store to take a look but I only got some coffee.  













Maui Beach Hotel.. doesn't this look like a great place for a pool ?


Maui Beach Hotel... See what I mean... water but not a good beach.  





I haven’t a clue if we ate dinner or where  but I did enjoy some of my wine..

No comments:

Post a Comment