Thursday, January 23, 2014

Maui .. Day 8 of 18 Iao Needle & Moving to Kaanapali

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Before we went to breakfast, I walked down to the beach area such as it is.  I met a lovely lady who has adult kids who live on Oahu.  I was a little stunned to learn that her son or grandson plays polo. I believe she spoke of them playing on the big island but used the horses there.   She was a very, very interesting lady... she just seemed so "centered".

Ok time for breakfast at Burger King again.. I love their door handles... They could be the same everywhere I just don't usually eat at BK to know .





Before we  head to Kaanapali, we decide to go to the Iao Valley since it's rather close.  I really wish I had driven out to Kihei instead since I dont' remember the area and would have liked to see what it's like....maybe I'd want to stay there the next time.   Anyhow we go to Iao Valley since John's never been  and we walk all around the park... 








JFK's profile is dead center

I had to ask a tour bus driver how to see the profile of JFK.. Years ago it was clearly marked and was a big deal around here.  
So now we head to Kaanapali with a  little stop in Lahaina where  we spot a food  truck that sells fish tacos.  



I remember Kaanapali from the 80's like it was yesterday.But I'll get back to this soon...


 I Love the drive to the Hyatt Regency. This is the first really cool pool I had ever been in back in the early 80's and I still love it.    I really don't care about the beach so much since I have great beaches in Florida.   Matter of fact, I'm not really sure I stepped on it.  












The beach in front of the Hyatt




Manoman I love these chips!!!  Bud light lime isn't so bad either..; )




We hung around the pool awhile  with a Mai Tai  or two  before we changed to go to the Sheraton for the torch lighting and to watch the cliff diver..



Frankly I was very disappointed in both... We couldn't hear well and practically missed the whole thing as it was so short.  I can't help but compare it to the grandness of the Coco Palms torch lighting ceremony..  But it was fun talking to the couple we met while having a few drinks ..then we walked back to the Hyatt... I do love this walkway.  For the life of me, I can not remember if it was here back in the 80's.   Some sections are lit with electric lights and others  have torches with fire.  Both look spectacular.  





I think it was this evening that we just happened to catch the tail end of a luau show... maybe at the Westin.   Anyhow, the stage was so close to the path we couldn't miss seeing these awesome fire dancers!  
Terrible picture, but that's what it is...




No comments:

Post a Comment