Sunday, January 26, 2014

Oahu...Day 13 of 18 Diamond Head Hike and more

Saturday,  May 19, 2012


Before I went onto Sunday I wanted to add a couple pictures from The Missiouri.

When we decided to tour the battleship, ignorant me, didn't realize the official surrender documents were signed on  this ship in Japan.   I really got into the history here and I realize later it was due to the tour guide.  He really brought it alive... I just can't stress enough to do one of the guided tours.


Here's a copy of the Surrender Document 




And the roped off area is where it was signed... See the brass plaque in the middle...  And
Johns on the left using one of the handsets  for the self guided tour part which we did after our tour was over.


How appropriate it is that the Missouri was brought here to Pearl Harbor so close to the Arizona.  It must have been a huge celebration when the ship cruised into the harbor!

Taken from the Mighty Mo


That's our guide on the far left..



Now on to Sunday.....

Sunday, May 20, 2012

On our way to Diamond Head we stopped at an art show, but unfortunately they were just setting up.





We were here early so parking was not a problem 















Here's some kids on the outside of the fencing.  Everyone including myself was trying to shoot the around them so finally I asked them to move.  They were really nice guys just being kids  and they insisted I take their picture.  After I did, they moved.  Everyone said thanks.. don't get why it's always me speaking up..





When we got back to our car we drove around the area and ended up in the Kahala area where we ran into the Kahala Hotel..whatever it's called now. Long ago, I tried to find it and got lost. I always thought it might be nice to stay there.  I would have liked to walk around it but I really wanted to move along. 

Anyhow, we then we continued driving at random stopping everywhere that looked interesting.







I thought this sign was rather funny because the entire island is a scenic point. 




Would have liked to go in the water here, but didn't really know anything about it.








Makapu'u Trail
This was an interesting trail with lots of good views and bunkers.  


Looked like an iffy place to be swimming


Makapu'u Lighthouse
Waimanaki Beach ?






From the Pali we headed back to the Ilikai for a bit...

After a short stop at our condo at the Ilikai, we changed clothes and heading to Walmart to pick up some clip on sunglasses for me.   On our  way there we saw the Waikiki Yacht Club and since John is a Past Commodore  back home we decided  we go there on our way back to ck it out.   It's a nice club with plenty of aloha.  I wanted to purchase a burgee but they only do exchanges so I guess I need to travel with an spare from our club.   We each had some clam chowder and I had a glass of wine.  It's a nice place.  

Waikiki Yacht Club




No comments:

Post a Comment