Thursday, January 23, 2014

Maui.. Day 7 of 18 Drive to Hana

Monday, May 7, 2012 

Up early around 5 am  to head to Hana.  We  pretty much stayed on Florida time so this wasn’t difficult at all to do.   We ate at  Burger King and I remember running next door to pick up the CD for the Road to Hana.  I was trying to keep the Blue Book out plus listen to the CD but it all just got too confusing so I put the book away.  

The first stop was at Twin Falls where I picked up some apple bananas for the trip.  I had already decided not to go up to the falls here.






 Next was a lovely trail , Waikamoi Nature Trail, which  had tons of lovely plants.   







Our third stop was Kaumahini State Park where  I bought a couple birds from  this couple were making  a variety of objects from the palm fronds. I love these little souvenirs.  





Made a short stop to see Nuaailua Bay.. at least I think it is 






As we drive across a bridge  I see a dad and a couple kids jumping off rocks by a bridge into a waterfall pool. I think it's Makapipi Falls and I  remembered reading that it was a favorite place  to jump  but they have to hit it right to make the deep hole.  They sure were having a ton of fun, but so not for me.  







 Three waterfalls that were different heights …I think these were nicknamed  the three bears.  





Our next stop was at Pua’a Kaa State Wayside where I changed and took a dip in the waterfall pool.   Saw some others doing it so monkey see, monkey do.  This is also where I was careless with one of my cameras.. a cannon with a viewfinder.  I hate that I let it drop out of my beach bag as it was a great little camera.  






We passed the Ke’anae pennisula and decided to stop here on the way back.  On to Nahiku Marketplace where I bought some coconut candy and lunch which I do not remember.  I can say though that I thought the prices were very reasonable.  









Waianapanana State Park comes next… I notice that this is a state park and the others were called “state waysides”.  This is a beautiful, beautiful area with a black sand beach… well actually it’s far from sand… more like small black volcanic rock beach.  But…. So pretty!! Actually these pictures do not give it justice.  







This must be Hamoa Beach…We stopped for just a few minutes then drove on past gorgeous Wailua Falls  heading to the Nat’l Park.  







Next stop is O’heo Gulch which was referred to as Seven Sacred Pools the last time I was here many, many years ago.  I hardly ever hear that name now.   This is one of my very favorite places in Hawaii, but the last time I was here in ’82 there was only about 25% of these people and it was in July or August.   Even though it was crowded I still love it.  I’d love to see an aerial photo over the whole area as there are waterfalls that continue  up the area on the other side of the bridge.  









We had to leave … sadly and without hiking the bamboo trail as we could only do that if we wanted to drive part of the road back in the dark and that really wasn’t an option.  So we made a few other stops on the drive back that wouldn’t take so long. 

Before we left the area I had to run into this store.. I think I was after Maui Onion chips..


Oh oh, I almost forgot… we were driving along trying to find Lindbergs grave.  I forgot to look up its location and  mistakenly thought it was on the main road.   So were driving along and the road gets narrower and narrower… I about died when I realized we were heading for the “other side”.  It was so narrow it scared me to death but we did find a place to turn around.  

We drove around the Kaene Peninsula and walked through  the Keanae Arboretum.  On our way in by the road side we spotted this car down way in the ditch.  It looked very  scary and reminds us to drive very safely. 
\


 There was a nice variety of trees in the Arboretum, but I was here to see the painted Eucalyptus trees.  Wow, they are lovely!!  On the way home we passed several stands of them that I somehow missed this morning.  




 Also drove through a area that felt like a tunnel of bamboo that I missed in the morning so  I must have had my nose in a book at this time. 

We stopped at Ho’okipa Beach Park and found out this is the place to be at Sunset.  It was packed.    Funny the things we remember… I saw this guy in a tiny car with a great dane who had his head up through the sunroof.   Wish I had gotten a picture ... it was cute.







 Back in Paia we stopped at Mana Foods and picked up a roasted chicken which we ate on our balcony at the hotel.  

It was an awesome day doing my very favorite drive!  I don’t regret any of our stops but do wish we could have done the bamboo trail.  Next time I’m planning on staying in Hana a couple nights so we be so rushed.   

Tomorrow we move to Kaanapali.

No comments:

Post a Comment